Thursday, January 12, 2012

Night of the Living Deed by E.J. Copperman

I'm a sucker for ghosts, apparently. In this one, Alison Kirby has recently bought an old Victorian house and has started restoring it herself. She plans to make it into a guesthouse, and she and her nine-year-old daughter Melissa will live there too. Melissa claims that someone died in the house, which Alison chalks up to her daughter's imagination. But after an accident with a ladder and a bucket of joint compound leaves Alison with a concussion and the ability to see ghosts, she has to face the fact that her daughter's right: not one but two people died in the house--recently, in fact. Last year. And they were murdered.

Alison is a likable character, often funny and always spunky. I hate the word spunky, but she is. She's just not annoying with it. The plot is pretty good and I didn't guess the murderer, mainly because I thought I'd figured it all out early and refused to change my mind despite evidence to the contrary.

The ghosts are the weakest part of the book, actually. I found them kind of annoying and not much help with the plot. I think there was supposed to be a little bit of a spark between Alison and the male ghost, but I didn't feel any chemistry between them. Alison's relationship with her daughter feels much more natural and realistic. I'm happy to see that there's a second book available and a third book about to come out. I'll probably read both.

B&N link

2 comments:

Kelly Robinson said...

I have mixed feelings about ghosts. I tend to like them best in Victorian-era stories. Maybe it's just easier for me to accept them in a removed setting...?

(P.S. The verification word is "Shemp." Now I'm thinking about the 3 Stooges.)

K.C. Shaw said...

I like Victorian-era ghost stories too, although only in small doses. They're all pretty much identical, those stories, and they start to irritate me after I read a few. I want to tell the authors to get a new idea.