Saturday, July 2, 2011

Coyote Wind by Peter Bowen

Another very quick review due to circumstances beyond my control. I apologize for that, particularly since this book is worth a much more in-depth review.

Gabriel Du Pre is a cattle brand inspector in rural Montana. Sometimes he doubles as a deputy if no one else is available. But when fresher bones turn up in a newly-discovered 30-year old plane wreck, Du Pre has to face his own past as he searches for the truth behind the murder.

That's a pretty good setup right there, but it's the setting and flavor of the book that had me hooked. The mystery is good, but it's secondary. Du Pre is a richly drawn, sympathetic character steeped in the traditions of his French-Indian heritage. That sounds stupid, but I don't have time to make it less clunky.

Evidently there are a lot of books in this series. If I get a chance to read in the next few weeks, I will probably be reading the next Gabriel Du Pre mystery.

B&N link

No comments: