Sunday, February 13, 2011

Indigo Springs by A. M. Dellamonica

I'm having trouble writing a review for this book, largely because I can't decide whether I liked it or not.

Indigo Springs has several things in its favor. The basic magical device in the story--a thick blue water-like "vitagua" that responds to human will--is both novel and richly integrated into our mythos and pseudo-history. There is a diverse cast of characters, but there are never too many to track. The book is framed in a sleepy little town that quickly and comfortably settles around you--and yet its world never really feels small. And the writing was fluid enough, with sufficiently dynamic pacing, to make me keep chewing through the chapters.

And yet, not everything is delightful in here. The main character is a whining douche, inexplicably love-struck over her self-absorbed would-be girlfriend. She lives with her half-brother who is likewise a douche. Her mother is a bad-tempered half-male weirdo. And there's an extra main character--a government agent who spends the book asking her questions and getting a long back story in response--who can't seem to decide if he should ever play a prominent role or not. (I suspect he'll show up in the inevitable sequel.) The MC's actions throughout the book are frequently--no, almost continually--unjustifiable. Is it really possible for anyone to make a bad decision every hour of every day for weeks on end? Yikes!

After weighing the pros and cons, I think I've decided that I won't be picking up the sequel. But I can't really regret having spent the time to read what was, after all, a reasonably good book.

No comments: