Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Blood Ballad by Rett MacPherson

It took me a while to warm up to this book. It wasn't until around page 50 that I really got interested, when the Percheron shows up in the main character's pasture and no one knows where it came from. I love draft horses, so I was hooked. Unfortunately, around page 50 was when I accidentally spilled an entire travel-mug of iced tea on the book while both the travel-mug and the book were in my bag. By the time I realized, the book was thoroughly sodden and falling apart. I read it anyway, because I wanted to find out about the Percheron.

The book has a fun layered mystery--one current murder, and one murder two generations before. Only local historian Torie O'Shea suspects the two may be related.

I've never read the other books in this series, but I didn't have trouble picking up the threads. The book stands well on its own. I liked Torie all right, even though her teenaged daughters' constant arguing got annoying and didn't contribute anything to the story for me. The setting was interesting, the mystery solidly plotted.

While I enjoyed the book reasonably well, I'm pretty sure they don't all contain draft horses and I can't say I connected very deeply to the characters--not enough to make me seek out the other books in the series. Just enough to make me read on despite the disintegrating spine and the pulpy, wet pages.

B&N link

No comments: